What is Help to Buy?
Help to Buy is a Government scheme designed to help first time buyers who are struggling to save a deposit for their first home.
All you need is to have saved enough for a 5% deposit, and a loan is given for up to 20% of the property value which is interest-free for the first 5 years*.
How does it work?
1. The scheme is for first time buyers only. If you’re buying with a partner they need to be a first time buyer too.
2. There’s a cap on how much you can spend, it’s £228,100 for Yorkshire and the Humber and you must be buying a new build home.
3. To be eligible you need at least a 5% deposit for the home you hope to buy, and you then borrow up to 20% of the value of the property with the Help to Buy loan.
4. Next you apply for a mortgage to cover the remaining cost of the home. This should be cheaper than normal because the mortgage amount you’re borrowing is smaller. Remember your mortgage and Help to Buy loan are two separate agreements.
5. The Help to Buy equity loan is interest free for 5 years. After that you’ll pay interest on it until you pay it back. You can find out more about the Help to Buy scheme here.
Help to Buy ends in March 2023 so now is the time to get your foot on the property ladder.